Christmas Cake Recipe
GERATEC is famous for its specialist nutritional care, where we combine therapeutic dietary needs and culinary innovation in the long-term care sector.
In light of the season of giving, our master bakers have decided to share our secret Festive Fruit Cake recipe with you.
|Sugar white||258 g|
|Fruit cake mix||250 g|
|Dates chopped||375 g|
|Pecan Nuts chopped||150 g|
|Bicarbonate of soda||7 g|
|Margarine / Butter||250 g|
|Red glazed cherries||325 g|
|Vanilla essence||5 ml|
|Self-raising flour||330 g|
|All Spice||2 g|
|Mixed spice||2 g|
- Preheat the oven to bake at 120°c.
- Grease the cake tin and line it with 3 layers of greaseproof paper (Size 18cm x 7cm).
- Add the water, sugar, cake mix, dates, nuts, margarine and bicarbonate of soda in a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Place the pan on the stove over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool completely before adding the eggs.
- Add the cherries to the saucepan.
- Add the eggs and stir through the mixture.
- Add the self-raising flour, spices and salt and stir through. Ensure the flour is mixed in completely.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes (Until the cake is cooked through).
- IMPORTANT- Let the cake cool down completely in the cake tin and pour half the brandy over.
- Pour the remaining brandy over, wrap and place in an airtight container.
- Important to let the cake mature for at least 4 weeks (add extra brandy if required).